Love is: An In-Oven Digital Thermometer

I'm kinda embarrassed of my chicken photo because it is underdone, but I was just too excited to take a photo. Mike and I went to DownEast Outfitter Home, the gem of Idaho Falls, and found this in-oven thermometer for 9.99$. It was such a steal. I'm so happy to store this one in my top drawer. I know know exactly when my food is done, so no more praying it's done but not too done. The fear of under-cooking poultry has destroyed many chickens in my life. I'm cooking here my favorite Lemon Garlic Roast Chicken. One of my favorite one-pot meals.

Lemon and Garlic Roast Chicken
1 (5 to 6-pound) roasting chicken
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 large bunch fresh thyme or 1 T dried thyme
4 lemons
3 heads garlic, cut in 1/2 crosswise
2 tablespoons butter, melted
Red Potato, Carrots, and Onion
1 1/2 cup chicken stock

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Remove the chicken giblets. Rinse the chicken inside and out. Remove any excess fat and pat the outside dry. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken. Stuff the cavity with the thyme, 1 lemon, halved, and 2 halves of the garlic. Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter and sprinkle again with salt and pepper. Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken.

Place quartered potatoes, onions and carrots on the bottom of a stock pot or roasting pan. Cut 2 of the lemons in quarters and scatter the quarters and remaining garlic around the chicken. Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 hours. Remove to a platter and cover with aluminum foil while you prepare the gravy.

Remove all but 2 tablespoons of the fat from the bottom of the pan. Add the chicken stock and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer for 5 minutes, or until reduced by half.
Slice the chicken on a platter. Serve with the gravy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment