Pan-Fried Onion Dip

When I was working as a waitress in Park City, UT I fell in love with Burgies' Tuna Melts. I know, the tuna melt, not that exciting. But for me, it still is one of my favorite grilled sandwiches of all time. The Burgies tuna melt was as follows. Tuna salad made with good mayo, diced onion, celery, and S&P. The homestyle wheat bread was buttered and grilled with swiss cheese. Once that was melted it was topped with the cold tuna, lettuce and tomato. It was grilled for just a bit more and served with their waffle fries. I still make it this way today.
I've been craving a tuna melt and wanted to make something special to serve with it tonight for dinner, so I tried out Ina's Pan Fried Onion Dip from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook. She claims it is ten times better than the original, and it is! I've had the Lipton Soup mix kind at least 100 times over the sports events held by my father over the years, but this one is special. I love that you can find the onion chunks throughout the dip. Give it a try!

Pan-Fried Onion Dip
2 large yellow onions
4 T unsalted butter
1/4 c vegetable oil
1/4 t ground cayenne pepper
1 t kosher salt
1/2 t ground black pepper
4 oz cream cheese
1/2 c sour cream
1/2 cup mayo

Cut the onions in half, and then slice them in to 1/8 inch thick half rounds. Heat the butter and oil in a large saute pan on medium heat. Add the onions, cayenne, salt, and pepper and saute for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 more minutes, until the onions are browned and caramelized. Allow the onions to cool.
Place the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayo in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat until smooth. Add the onions and mix well. Taste for seasonings. Serve at room temperature with crackers, chips, and veggies!

Posted by Picasa

0 comments:

Post a Comment